Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Adjunct Brewing.

So what is so wrong with brewing beer with rice? I thought to myself as I finished my spider roll and then washed it down with a crisp delicious Sopporo. I was inspired.
Adjuncts always get a bad rap from beer snobs. It is a common practice to use rice and or corn among the big North American breweries. Barley is a magical grain. When malted it has the power to convert its own grain starches to maltose. If you add an additional form of grain like rice or corn you get the same result minus some of the body and dextrin from the barley that can make it heavier. The result is a lighter, drier beer.
So what about Rheinheitsgebot (a German purity law that only allows barley, hops, and water as ingredients)? Just as early American brewers did, I think you should make the best beer you can with what you have. Today I have a five pound bag of rice from Shop and Save. The rest will be Rahr 2 row barley along with Hallertau and Tettnanger hops.
I cooked the rice in a separate pot until it broke down into a slurry. The cooked rice is then added to the mash and left at 149 degrees for 90 minutes. The result is 1.050 on the money. The goal is to produce a clean light lager beer. It will be in the BJCP style of an American Premium Lager. Brewing is science and science is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment